Thursday, March 13, 2008

Blogs and RSS and oh my

It seems to me that sites like Technorati and Google Blog search are rather blunt instruments. (But then, Google is a blunt instrument -- I know it's long gone, but gosh, we used to be able to do elegant and precise searches and I miss that.)

Anyway, I looked around for something of interest to subscribe to on... say... English country dancing on Google and found some good posts but nothing I'd want to actually subscribe to.

Topix -- to me -- had an unfriendly interface. Maybe I just didn't relate to the typeface!

For some good library blogs I found it quicker and easier to go from a known item like the IS blog (let's call it a trusted source) and see what was there. From that it was simple.

I think a big issue with blogs is the "who the heck is this and why should I care" question. I'm just not interested in what anybody at all has to say about any/every thing. Guess I'd rather have less coming in but of a higher quality.

We could set up the ability for people to subscribe to RSS feeds for things like library programs, for example. Same thing with the new books lists in iBistro. Maybe we'll have librarian blogs that are intended for the general public, or for the reader of ... you name it. I think we're limited only by our imaginations and mostly our time. This stuff does take time...

No comments: